The distribution has been built from a minimal Ubuntu system and customised to offer a good balance of speed and functionality.
CrunchBang Linux is currently available as a live CD; however, the best performance is achieved by installing it to a hard disk.
A list of pre-installed applications on the standard CrunchBang Linux LiveCD. For a full manifest of installed packages, please see:
- GNOME network tools
- Take Screenshot → Now → See scrot commands
- Take Screenshot → In 5 Seconds → See scrot commands
- Online Tools → Color Lovers → x-www-browser ColourLovers.com
- Online Tools → Color Hunter → x-www-browser colorhunter.com
- Online Tools → Vector Magic → x-www-browser Vector Magic
- Online Tools → Favicon from Pics → x-www-browser Favicon from Pics
- Create Screencast → gtk-recordMyDesktop
- Sound Recorder
- Volume control
- htop system monitor
- Document Viewers → Evince PDF viewer
- Document Viewers → xCHM HTML help file viewer
- Editors → gedit
- Editors → Leafpad
- Editors → Vim
- Editors → gVim
- Editors → Pyroom
- PCMan File Manager (as root)
- Terminal Emulators → Terminator Terminal Emulator
- Terminal Emulators → xterm
- File Roller
- File Roller (as root)
- World Clock
A list of pre-installed applications on the CrunchBang Linux “Lite” LiveCD. For a full manifest of installed packages, please see:
- htop system monitor
Update (via Distrowatch):
Philip Newborough has announced the release of CrunchBang Linux 10 R20110207, a lightweight Debian-based distribution for the desktop: "CrunchBang 10 'Statler' has been in development since early last year. The first alpha release came out in March 2010 and several development builds have followed whilst Debian 'Squeeze' remained in testing. Now that 'Squeeze' has migrated from testing to stable, CrunchBang 'Statler' will also adopt the stable moniker. The new CrunchBang 10 'Statler' R20110207 images were built on Monday, 7th February 2011 using the stable Debian 'Squeeze' and CrunchBang 'Statler' repositories. Changes from the previous builds have been kept to a minimum. The changes that have been made include: Chromium browser (version 9) replaces Google Chrome stable; Debian Installer (GUI & text) replaces the previous Live Installer; other minor changes and bug fixes."
Read the rest of the release announcement for more details.
Download (MD5): crunchbang-10-20110207-openbox-i686.iso (684MB, torrent), crunchbang-10-20110207-openbox-amd64.iso (652MB, torrent), crunchbang-10-20110207-xfce-i686.iso (679MB, torrent), crunchbang-10-20110207-xfce-amd64.iso (647MB, torrent).
• 2010-12-08: Development Release: CrunchBang Linux 10 R20101205
• 2010-06-25: Development Release: CrunchBang Linux 10 Alpha 2
• 2010-03-20: Development Release: CrunchBang Linux 10 Alpha 1
• 2009-07-08: Distribution Release: CrunchBang Linux 9.04.01
• 2009-01-18: Distribution Release: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02
• 2008-11-27: Distribution Release: CrunchBang Linux 8.10.01