Gonzalo Velasco has announced the release of Poseidon Linux 4.0, an Ubuntu-based distribution with focus on scientific computing: "Poseidon Linux 4.0 is here. Our new release is based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (with 3 years of updates guaranteed by Canonical) as our goals are stability, usability and support for the whole system when used professionally at universities, institutes, colleges and at home. Poseidon Linux is a GNU/Linux distribution designed for the academic and scientific community; it includes a large number of scientific applications, covering areas such as: GIS and geostatistics, visualization, mathematics, statistics, physics, chemistry, CAD, engineering, computer graphics, image editing and vector drawing, numeric modelling and simulation, scientific graphs, scientific authoring...."
Visit the project's home page to read the full release announcement.
Download: Poseidon_Linux4_32bit.iso (3,731MB, MD5).
- SPRING 5.0
- GRASS 6.4.0 RC 5+ plugins GDAL 1.4.4 and OGR 1.4.4
- GMT 4.5.2
- PROJ 4.6
- QGIS 1.4 + plugins (including GRASS Plugin)
- Terraview 3.2 Plus
- MB System 5.1.3beta1855
- GPS Manager
- GPS Drive
- Mapserver 5.0 + Pmapper 3.2 (don't work running from live-DVD, just work installed on a PC)
- R 2.9.2 + many libraries (GeoR, GeoRglm, GStat, GAM, GRASS, abind, car, effects, lmtest, multicomp, mvtnorm, relimp, rgl, sandwich, sm, strucchange, zoo) + graphical interface for R (using his library, Rcmdr)
- Octave 3.0 + Gnuplot
- QCAD (2D CAD)
- OpenOffice 3.1
- Mozilla FireFox
- Gimp 2.4.5
- Alien (Convert .RPM to .DEB)
- DosBox (DOS emulator)
- Sysutils (Tools to convert ASCII text files from DOS to UNIX, and UNIX to DOS)
- Tools for Palm sync
- QEmu (free emulator, runs another OS in a window)