Some people were disappointed when Amarok 2.0 was released, it had changed a lot from the tried and trusted 1.4 and not to everyone's liking. Amarok 1.4 was still around, but uses the older QT libraries, which modern distros do not install. Being open source, it was almost inevitable that someone would take the Amarok 1.4 source code and begin porting it to QT4. What was far less inevitable was that the porting project would reach the stage of a usable release, but that is exactly what Clementine has done.
Porting to QT4 has two advantages, not only does it mean that Clementine can run on modern distros without needing older libraries, but QT4 is also available for Windows and MacOS X, so Clementine is now truly cross-platform.
If you ever used the older Amarok, you will feel immediately at home with Clementine. Some of the more esoteric features have not made it across (yet) but that's not necessarily a bad thing, Amarok was already beginning to get quite bloated (or feature rich, depending on your point of view) by the 1.4 release. The basics are there, playlist management, ID tag editing and Last.fm integration. The latter not only allows you to listen to music from Last.fm, you need an account there, but it can also download cover art from their site. Clementine can also play streamed audio fro many Internet radio stations, although it doesn't have the podcast support of Amarok 2.
If you want a basic but functional music player that fits in with a KDE desktop, you won't go far wrong with Clementine, even at this early stage of its development.
- Search and play your local music library.
- Listen to internet radio from Last.fm, SomaFM, Magnatune, Jamendo and Icecast.
- Create smart playlists and dynamic playlists.
- Tabbed playlists, import and export M3U, XSPF, PLS and ASX.
- CUE sheet support.
- Visualisations from projectM.
- Lyrics and artist biographies and photos.
- Transcode music into MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Speex, FLAC or AAC.
- Edit tags on MP3 and OGG files, organise your music.
- Fetch missing tags from MusicBrainz.
- Download missing album cover art from Last.fm.
- Cross-platform - works on Linux.
- Native desktop notifications on Linux (libnotify) and Mac OS X (Growl).
- Remote control using a Wii Remote, MPRIS or the command-line.
- Copy music to your iPod, iPhone, MTP or mass-storage USB player.
- Queue manager
* Fix several compilation errors under GCC 4.6.0.
* Fix a regression that broke gapless playback between certain songs.
* Fix the behaviour of --seek-by and --seek-to commandline options.
* Fix a crash when the visualisation window was resized to 0x0 pixels.
* (Linux) Fix the behaviour of the InsertUrls DBUS method.
* (Mac OS X) Fix a crash on startup on machines without X11 installed.
* (Mac OS X) Fix a bug that would make Clementine try to update to an
* Brand new "Edit track information" dialog. You can now edit more fields,
change multiple songs at once, change album cover art and view song
statistics. Added an option to identify songs and fill in their tags
automatically using information from MusicBrainz.
* Add support for .cue files. Songs in a cuesheet appear in the playlist
and your library as separate tracks.
* Add "Duplicates only" and "Untagged songs only" views to the library that
help you find and correct badly tagged music in your library.
* Add an option to show album covers in the library view. This is on by
default, but you can turn it off again in the Preferences dialog.
* Add an option to load cover art directly from a URL.
* Clementine now gracefully handles deleted files by skipping them on
playback attempt and greying them out in the playlist view.
* Add a "Full library rescan" option which should rescan your library much
more thoroughly than before (but will take longer).
* Add a "Show in file browser" option to the library and playlist menus.
* Add a fancy tooltip to the track seek slider, showing the position that
you're about to jump to and its distance from the current position.
* Add support for network proxies. Clementine will use your system's proxy
by default, but you can configure a different one in the Preferences
* The "Kittens" extra now fetches even fluffier kittens.
* Hypnotoad: now available in fullscreen HD.
* Load embedded cover art from ogg files.
* Add a backspace shortcut to the files view.
* Pressing ESC will clear and focus the search box. Typing in the playlist
view will focus the search box and start searching.
* Pressing space in the playlist will play/pause the current track.
* Add global shortcuts for rating songs.
* Add global shortcuts for all of the repeat and shuffle modes.
* Middle-clicking a song now enqueues it into the playlist.
* Download higher resolution images from last.fm.
* Add options to the now-playing widget's menu to change the album art.
* Dragging an image file onto the now-playing widget will now set that
image as the cover art for the album.
* You can now tell the library scanner which filenames it should prefer
when looking for album cover art.
* Add a configurable timeout when searching for song and artist info.
* Add tooltips to the album cover manager that show the artist and album
* Improve the options in the context menu for adding tracks to the playlist
from the library. Default behaviours are now configurable in the
* You can now use "file path" when creating dynamic playlists.
* The search box in the album cover manager now searches in artist names
* Move the clear button inside search boxes.
* Make the pretty OSD snap to the center of the screen when dragging.
* Add a text alignment setting to playlist columns.
* The scroll wheel now scrolls through images in the artist info view.
* You can now drag songs onto empty space in the playlist tab bar to add
the songs to a new playlist.
* Fade out the currently playing song when exiting Clementine.
* Centre on the last played song when restoring a playlist.
* Add a menu item to change analyzers' framerate.
* Add an option to hide dividers in the library view.
* Ability to use either a "time left" timer or a "total time" timer for songs.
* (Windows) Add support for automatic updates. The second time you start
Clementine you are asked whether you want to check for updates
automatically. You can check manually at any time in the Tools menu.
* (Windows 7) Add playback buttons to the Windows 7 taskbar icon.
* Fix several issues loading files with non-ascii characters in their
* Fix several crashes when loading malformed tags from MP3 files.
* Fix a crash when clicking the "cancel" button on a dynamic playlist while
the preview is still being loaded.
* Fix a crash when skipping quickly through tracks while the Artist Info
tab was open.
* Fix a crash on exit if you have the Magnatune list open.
* Fix a crash when closing a playlist that has songs still loading.
* Fix a crash when removing the first, active playlist.
* Fix a race condition on startup that might lead to two instances of
Clementine being started.
* Fix a display bug in the "Last played" column for songs that haven't been
played in the last week.
* Improve the sorting of untagged songs loaded from directories.
* Fix a build failure on ARM.
* Do library initialisation in the background - fixing a GUI freeze when
loading large collections.
* Fix a bug where columns would sometimes not appear in the playlist.
* Fix some graphical bugs when resizing the sidebar when it is blurred.
* Hide the score and comment columns by default, increase the size of the
* Fix a database error when searching for " characters in the library.
* Fix an issue when trying to sign in to last.fm with a username containing
* Fix the "date" and "rating" smart playlist comparisons.
* Update statistics properly when playing songs shorter than 30 seconds.
* Don't re-read tags from files when loading a playlist if those songs are
already in the library.
* Make it possible to disable all lyric providers.
* Make it possible to delete the active playlist.
* Add a workaround for broken XML entities in ASX playlists.
* Sort playlist tabs properly when closing and re-opening Clementine.
* (Windows) Fix MP3 transcoding.
* (Windows) Better error handling when parts of the Windows Media Device
Manager SDK aren't installed (like on Windows Server).
* (Windows) Fix a crash on startup when a device was connected that gave
Clementine an invalid icon.
* (Linux) Various MPRIS2 fixes.
* (Mac OS X) Increase the maximum file descriptor limit so larger
collections can still be monitored for changes.
Build system changes:
* Remove the old xine, VLC and Phonon backends. These weren't maintained
any more and didn't have as many features as the GStreamer backend.
* Make Last.fm optional.
* Clementine now builds correctly with Clang.
* Don't run tests for features if those features are disabled.
* (Linux) Make DBUS optional.
* (Windows) Upgrade to Qt 4.7.1.
* (Mac OS X) Switch the HTTP gstreamer plugin to soup instead of neon.