GCompris is a completely free educational software suite which contains a wide range of activities. It offers various activities aimed at covering a variety of fields such as the functioning of the computer, using the mouse and keyboard, general learning, reading, writing, foreign languages, algebra, as well as various activities such as memory and logic games, scientific experiments etc.
In GCompris you will find many individual software packages which together make up the complete GCompris suite of activities. Unfortunately, it is difficult to follow and maintain them as each one offers different graphic interfaces which vary widely in quality.
The purpose of GCompris is to provide a development platform for educational activities.
GCompris is part of GNU project and is placed under the GPL license.
- Processor : Pentium 3 500Mhz
- Memory (RAM) : 512 Mega Bytes
- Disk : 400 Mega Bytes
- Operating system : GNU/Linux, BSD, MacOSX, Windows
- Video : A 3D card is NOT required. 32 bits color depth mandatory.
The software is delivered under several forms. Follow the process according to your case.
- GNU/Linux : Use the packages delivered by your GNU/Linux distribution. You may have to install the package gcompris-sound-en to have the english voices. If GCompris is not packaged in your Linux distribution, please contact them to ask for the inclusion of GCompris in your Linux distribution.
- Windows : Delivered under a classic installer for Windows. This version requires an activation code.
- MacOSX : Delivered under a classic installer. This version requires an activation code.
If you liked this article, subscribe to the feed by clicking the image below to keep informed about new contents of the blog: