Pardus has a range of unique features, such as Mudur, a start-up framework of Pardus to speed up the boot process, and PiSi, an efficient package management system with a user-friendly graphical interface.
The Pardus Project is one of the considerably few organizations out there in Turkey supporting open source development and students hoping to focus on open source development models. As such, the project provides grounds in summer seasons for undergraduate students' training. This year is no different than the previous years in this context. Pardus'10 Summer Training Programme application started 15 March , and application will continue during 1 month. The results of the application is going to be declareted on the next month.
There is 9 summer project subject to work on, in this summer term. Determaning the projects, which the candidates willing to study, they apply the projects using the online form.
Project titles are as follows,
* Web Interface of Buildfarm
* Unimpeded Pardus
* Firewall Plasmoid
* Back Up KDE Settings
* Feedback Infrastructures for Pardus Applications
* Pisi Unit Tests
* Real-Time Distributed Error Log Management Framework
* Testing XML
* Pardus Guest User Account
This team will not only help improve Pardus, but also have a chance to improve themselves, in terms of both professional career and experience during the summer training program.
You can get more information about summer training program from here.
Updates (via Distrowatch):
Gökçen Eraslan has announced that the second beta release of Pardus Linux 2011 is available for testing: "Live and installation images of Pardus Linux 2011 beta 2 release for 64-bit and 32-bit architectures are ready. More hardware support, bug fixes for our manager family and lots of new packages and updates are included in beta 2. In addition, some of the operations previously achieved in YALI, now have been moved to the first boot of the system and some visual changes applied to YALI interface. Also, one of the most important bugs, USB installation failure is now fixed. Keep in mind that this is a beta release and because of the fast development process, you will get massive number of package updates as more bugs are fixed."
Here is the brief release announcement.
Download the installation or live DVD images from here: Pardus-2011-Beta-2-i686.iso (1,071MB, MD5), Pardus-2011-Beta-2-x86_64.iso (1,090MB, MD5), Pardus-2011-Beta-2-Live-i686.iso (1,269MB, MD5), Pardus-2011-Beta-2-Live-x86_64.iso (1,290MB, MD5).
• 2010-12-03: Development Release: Pardus Linux 2011 Beta 2
• 2010-10-21: Development Release: Pardus Linux 2011 Beta
• 2010-06-04: Distribution Release: Pardus Linux 2009.2
• 2010-05-22: Development Release: Pardus Linux 2009.2 Beta
• 2010-01-16: Distribution Release: Pardus Linux 2009.1
• 2010-01-09: Development Release: Pardus Linux 2009.1 RC
Here are some key features of "Pardus Linux":
· Multilingual installer - it is possible to install Pardus in Turkish, English, Spanish, German or Dutch;
· smaller packages, faster updates - thanks to the improvements to the Pardus package manager PiSi;
· package manager - the intuitive graphical interface of PiSi makes updates and installation of software much easier;
· fast start-up - the new init system developed using the Pardus configuration framework OMAR makes the start-up much faster;
· new and up-to-date applications - more than 640 packages are installed from the CD, and more than 1000 available over the Internet.
What's New in This Release:
· The International CD of Pardus 2009, containing 11 languages to choose
· from, is also available in FTP.
· This new release contains many bugfixes and enhancements. New
· shiny KDE4 desktop environment, improved hardware support, latest
· releases of Pardus Manager tools, up to date software repository,
· performance improvements all over the system etc. are among the many
· new features of Pardus 2009.
· Pardus 2009 has also been improved graphically in every part of
· the distribution. All the splash systems from bootloader to login
· screen has been revised. Also with the new release, Pardus' icon theme
· Milky meets the users.
· Latest version of Pardus 2009 contains up to date packages like
· KDE 4.2.4
· Linux kernel 22.214.171.124
· OpenOffice.Org 126.96.36.199
· Mozilla Firefox 3.5.1
· Gimp 2.6.6
· K3b 1.66
· Xorg 1.6.2
· Python 2.6.2