The most common form of audio tag is ID3, of which there are two unrelated types (ID3v1 and ID3v2). There are also other types of audio tags, including Vorbis Comments (found in Ogg and FLAC audio files), and APE tags. Tag editors are not just confined to audio files. Taggers for graphic formats (such as JPEG and TIFF) are also available.
Tag editors are frequently used to correct and organise multimedia files and they support popular digital audio formats. They can rename files based on the tag information, replace words in tags and filenames, create playlists, and import/export tag information. An important feature we look for is the ability to make online database lookups, saving valuable time in collating tags and cover art for your music collection.
To provide an insight into the quality of software that is available, we have compiled a list of 5 proficient music tag editors. Hopefully, there will be something of interest here for anyone who wants to keep their music collection organised.
Now, let's explore the 5 music tag editors at hand. For each title we have compiled its own portal page, a full description with an in-depth analysis of its features, screenshots, together with links to relevant resources and reviews.
Kid3 is an application to edit the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in MP3 files in an efficient way. These tags can be edited by most MP3 players, but not in a very comfortable way. Moreover the tags in Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, MPC, MP4/AAC, MP2, Speex, TrueAudio and WavPack files are supported too.
Where most other programs can edit either ID3v1 or ID3v2 tag s, Kid3 has full control over both versions, can convert tags between the two formats and has access to all ID3v2 tags.
Please note, Kid3 does not grab, encode nor play MP3 files.
- Edit ID3v1.1 tags
- Edit all ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 frames
- Convert between ID3v1.1, ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 tags
- Edit tags in MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, MPC, MP4/AAC, MP2, Speex, TrueAudio and WavPack files
- Edit tags of multiple files, e.g. the artist, album, year and genre of all files of an album typically have the same values and can be set together
- Generate tags from filenames
- Generate filenames from tags
- Rename and create directories from tags
- Generate playlist files
- Automatic case conversion and string translation
- Import from gnudb.org, TrackType.org, MusicBrainz, Discogs, Amazon and other sources of album data
- Import and export album data
- Export tags as CSV, HTML, playlists, Kover XML and in other formats
- Sourcecode kid3-2.2.1.tar.gz
- Source RPM kid3-2.2.1-1.src.rpm
- Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 binaries (KDE) kid3_2.2.1-0squeeze_i386.deb
- Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 binaries (without KDE dependencies) kid3-qt_2.2.1-0squeeze_i386.deb
- Ubuntu 12.04 binaries (KDE) kid3_2.2.1-0precise_i386.deb
- Ubuntu 12.04 binaries (without KDE dependencies) kid3-qt_2.2.1-0precise_i386.deb
- Ubuntu 12.10 binaries (KDE) kid3_2.2.1-0quantal_i386.deb
- Ubuntu 12.10 binaries (without KDE dependencies) kid3-qt_2.2.1-0quantal_i386.deb
MusicBrainz Picard ("Picard") is a cross-platform MusicBrainz tag editor written in Python.
Picard is intended to be the next generation of tagger for the MusicBrainz application, with a focus on album-oriented (as opposed to track-based) tagging and cross platform compatibility.
- Supports the following formats:
- MP3, TTA (ID3)
- Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Speex (Vorbis comment)
- Musepack, WavPack, OptimFROG, Monkey's Audio (APEv2 tag)
- AAC, ALAC (MP4)
- The True Audio
- Windows Media Audio
- Automatic identification of audio files through the MusicDNS service using the Open Fingerprint Architecture acoustic fingerprinting technology
- Manual lookups for more control over how your files are tagged
- Performs CD lookups and disc ID submissions
- Cover art
- Plugins to extend functionality such as:
- Disc Numbers - moves (disc X) from releases titles into separate tags (discnumber and discsubtitle).
- Feat. Artists - removes (feat. Artist) parts from track titles
- Cover Art Downloader - downloads cover art for optional tag embedding and/or saving as a separate image file
- Last.fm Tags
- Last.fm Plus
- Search Plugins - launches searches for clusters or releases to external non-MB websites from Picard
- Change Encoding - converts the tags of individual files or clusters between different character encodings
- Live syntax checking for tagger script and naming strings
- Support ratings
- Support for user folskonomy tags
- Simple scripting
- Use a web proxy
Picard is also available in many distributions' software repositories. (Using Fedora? See the FAQ.)
Pinky-Tagger is a mass tagger for Linux which supports the MusicBrainz (PUID & TRM) service to find the correct tag information for your files automatically.
With Pinky-Tagger, you can manage your files, download cover, tag via an integrated expression scanner, tag via the MusicBrainz information or even listen to your files (external player support).
- View, edit, write tags of MP3, FLAC, Ogg and Monkey's Audio files
- Support OFA/PUID fingerprint generation
- Supports the MusicBrainz (version 3) service
- Download cover and save them to disk
- Download album information with or without automatic preselection of album suggestions
- Tag complete albums
- Browse files with internal file- and directory browser
- Recursion directory mode for tagging
- Read file information like (bitrate, time and so on) and displays them
- Rename files via expression scanner from tag information
- Tag files via expression scanner from file name
- Control your favorite external player (play, append to playlist, pause and so on)
- Tag files where you do not have any information (empty tag and unplausible filename for example)
- Decode with the fast libffmpeg (internal) or with "lame" (external) for fingerprint generation
- Powerful album tagger with automatic track assignment functionality
- Fully Drag & Drop compatible
- Offline mode
- Fast track browsing with internal MusicBrainz & MusicDNS cache
- Mark directories as tagged, files missing or untagged for better album management
- Manage your tools as you want (with dockwidgets)
- Listen to your files with the integrated phonon music player
Pinky-Tagger V2 (stable)
Pinkytagger (v. 2.2.2) (tar.gz)
OpenSuSE RPMs @ Packman / Links2Linux
Cowbell is an elegant music organizer intended to make keeping your collection tidy both fun and easy.
- Rename files according to a user defined pattern
- Download the album's cover image from Amazon
- Cache the cover images
- Batch tagging which can tag and guess a music collection
- Internationalization support
Cowbell is available for most current Linux distributions including, but not limited to:
EasyTAG is a utility for viewing, editing and writing the ID3 tags of different audio files, using an intuitive graphical interface.
The interface displays basic file informations taken from the file header, such as bitrate or duration. With the interface, you can edit common tag fields including: title, artist, album, year, track number, genre and comment which were available into ID3v1.1 and ID3v2.3 tag. Users can also edit special ID3v2.3 fields like: disc album, composer, original artist/performer, copyright, URL, encoder name and attached pictures.
- Simple to use interface
- View, edit, write tags of MP3, MP2 files (ID3 tag), FLAC files (FLAC Vorbis tag), Ogg Vorbis files (Ogg Vorbis tag), and MusePack, Monkey's Audio files (APE tag)
- 3 different ways to tag or rename files with auto tagging: parse filename and directory to complete automatically then fields (using masks)
- Ability to rename files from the tag (using masks) or by loading a text file
- Process selected files of the selected directory
- Browse subdirectories
- Recursion for tagging, removing, renaming, saving
- Can set a field (artist, title,...) to all other selected files
- Read file header informations (bitrate, time, ...) and display them
- Undo and redo last changes
- Process fields of tag and file name (convert letters into uppercase, downcase, ...)
- Open a directory or a file with an external program
- CDDB support (from http protocol)
- Tree based browser or a view by artist and album
- List to select files
- Playlist generator window
- File searching window
- French, German, Russian, Dutch, Hungarian, Swedish, Italian, Japanese, Ukrainian, Czech, Spanish, Polish and Romanian translation language