"Free software" is a matter of liberty, not just price. Chakra and all its appendant software and scripts are free software, as in “free speech”, not as in “free beer”. We are proud to develop free software, because it makes a difference. However, to offer our users the smoothest possible experience we occasionally bend the rules and bundle proprietary drivers and software if no viable free alternative is available. As we also believe in choice, all proprietary software can be disabled at system startup (for drivers) and in our installer (for anything else).
Phil Miller has announced the availability of the fifth and final milestone release of Chakra GNU/Linux 2011.04, a KDE-centric distribution based on Arch Linux: "Almost two weeks have passed since our last milestone release. We are now proud to present our fifth and last milestone before the final release of 'Aida', planed for the 22nd of April. We have fixed KDE 4.6.2 and some other packages to get it much more stable than before. The Burg installation system got improved and it now includes GPT support. Also the WLAN detection in live-mode works now, so you have instant Internet access for installing language packs using Tribe, our installer. Appset-Qt is included in version 0.4.0, fully translated and with the support of CCR, our community repository."
More details in the release announcement.
Download: chakra-2011.04-ms5-i686.iso (691MB, MD5), chakra-2011.04-ms5-x86_64.iso (700MB, MD5).
• 2011-04-14: Development Release: Chakra GNU/Linux 2011.04 Milestone 5
• 2011-04-04: Development Release: Chakra GNU/Linux 2011.04 Milestone 4
• 2011-03-20: Development Release: Chakra GNU/Linux 2011.04 Milestone 3
• 2011-02-17: Development Release: Chakra GNU/Linux 0.4 Beta 2
• 2011-01-31: Distribution Release: Chakra GNU/Linux 0.3.2
• 2011-01-11: Distribution Release: Chakra GNU/Linux 0.3.1
(Live Media Creation)