Kanotix uses KDE as the default desktop environment. GNOME and other window managers can be downloaded using APT. The name "Kanotix" is derived from the founder's nickname "Kano". Kanotix's mascot is a fangtooth.
Kanotix is based on Debian stable, (the "Thorhammer"-Release on Debian-"Etch", the current version "Excalibur" on Debian-"Lenny" ). It contains also own packages and scripts and many backports. Kanotix also provides the newest kernel (from Ubuntu) with modifications and some patches.
Updates (via Distrowatch):
Maximilian Gerhard has announced the release of KANOTIX 2011-05, a Debian-based desktop distribution and live DVD featuring the KDE desktop: "LinuxTag 2011 in Berlin started today, therefore we offer an updated KANOTIX 'Hellfire' version. Kanotix 'Hellfire' 2011-05 is based on Debian 6.0. It contains the latest Debian stable branch with all the latest security updates. In addition it provides useful extras and updated packages, including: Linux kernel 2.6.38 final (Ubuntu, recompiled), KDE SC 4.4.5 with KANOTIX branding, Amarok 2.4.0, LibreOffice 3.3.2, GRUB 2 boot manager, KDE Network Manager, Iceweasel 4.0.1, Icedove 3.1.9, Pidgin 2.7.11, NTFS-3G 2011.1.15, WINE 1.3.19, Kano's scripts for installing NVIDIA or ATI graphics driver and Flash Player plugin."
Here is the full release announcement.
Download: kanotix-2.6.38.iso (1,258MB, MD5), kanotix64-2.6.38.iso (1,381MB, MD5).
• 2011-05-11: Distribution Releases: KANOTIX 2011-05
• 2011-03-02: Distribution Release: KANOTIX 2011-03
• 2010-06-09: Distribution Release: KANOTIX 2010
• 2008-01-01: Development Release: KANOTIX 2007 RC7
• 2007-09-15: Development Release: KANOTIX 2007 RC6
• 2006-09-21: Development Release: KANOTIX 2006-01 RC3
Kanotix includes about 1,200 software packages:
- KDE, the default desktop environment, including the Konqueror
- Amarok, Video Disk Recorder
- Internet access software, including the Wicd, KPPP dialer,Wireless LAN-driver (with patched Ubuntu-Kernel) and NdisWrapper
- Iceweasel-web browser, Icedove Mail/News Client, Pidgin instant messenger
- K3b, for CD (and DVD) authoring and backup
- GIMP, an image-manipulation program
- Gparted and other tools for data rescue and system repair
- Network analysis and administration tools
- OpenOffice.org, an office suite
- Programming and development tools
- NTFS-3G used by default
- Automatic installation of graphic-drivers with nvidia and fglrx-scripts with dkms support.
- Scripts for additional multimedia support (current mplayer-versions)
- Wine (Software) updated to newest versions
In 2003 Jörg Schirottke was known with the nickname "Kano" in the former Knoppix-Forum (no longer available). The distribution derived from "Kano's Scriptpage for Knoppix" . He wrote about Knoppix: "I like it much, but I had to improve it :)". One of the main differences from Knoppix was the support of hard disk installation. The first "Kanotix"-preview was released at 24 December 2003 "KANOTIX XMAS 2003 PREVIEW". In 2004 and 2005 KANOTIX was a popular distribution ranking in the "top 20" of "distrowatch.com". In 2004 the releases were named "Bug Hunter" (Bug Hunter-01-2004 - X-2004).
After problems with the stability in 2006 Jörg "Kano" Schirottke decided to move from Debian Sid to a less volatile basis. The co-developer and other of the Kanotix-Team wanted to stay with Debian-Sid and left the project, to start sidux, an new distribution based on Debian sid. The last Kanotix release based on Debian Sid was 2006-01-RC4.
The first Release based on Debian-stable was the Kanotix-Thorhammer in 2007. After the Debian-Etch-Release in April 2007 Kanotix was no longer compatible with Debian Sid. So a Howto was given "Steps to update right": , to move a KANOTIX-installation to the new base by dist-upgrade.
After 3 months of development and several beta Releases the new Kanotix-2007-Thorhammer-RC6 was publicly available for download. The last published version was Kanotix-2007-Thorhammer-RC7.
The development in 2008 featured continuously kernel-updates (kernel) and a lot of backports in the Thorhammer-repository. Some of the additional packages were adaptations for netbooks and notebooks. A highlighted additional backport is OpenOffice.org 3.2.x Currently the Thorhammer-Release with upgrades is still supported.
The current Kanotix-Excalibur is based on Debian 5 ("Lenny") and has compared to Thorhammer some basic changes (based on Debian-Live, bootloader Grub2). Furthermore Kanotix-Excalibur is available for 32-Bit and 64-Bit architecture and a 2in1 iso with both. Additionally there are Kanotix Excalibur 2010 KDE4 (KDE SC 4.3.2) versions available and a "all-in-one"-DVD.iso. Kanotix-Excalibur contains the most up-to-date Ubuntu-kernels 2.6.32-BFS with special patches. During the development most of the Kanotix-Excalibur-test.iso were not published but accessible to the community, . A first "Preview"-Version was published on December,27 2009.. The final Kanotix-Excalibur-2010 was released on 08 June 2010, just in time for LinuxTag 2010.