Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) for MySQL is an easy to use, flexible and robust backup and recovery manager for MySQL. It provides scheduling, reporting, RSS & email notification, backup verification, compression, encryption and supports custom plugins. Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) for MySQL is an easy to use, flexible and robust backup and recovery manager for MySQL.
It provides scheduling, reporting, RSS & email notification, backup verification, compression, encryption and supports custom plugins.
Version 2.0 of Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) for MySQL, a robust and intelligent solution for backup and recovery of MySQL databases is now available.
Significant feature is the support for Solaris platform and backups using ZFS snapshots (in addition to LVM snapshots)
Changes in this release:
* Solaris packages
* ZRM clients for Linux (RPM/Debian) and Solaris
* Tested on Gentoo distribution
* Improved Snapshot plugin interface
* Solaris ZFS snapshot plugin
* Backup of remote servers using snapshots
* Asychronous checksum computation for improved backup performance
* Backup compression on the fly for logical backups
* Of course, lots of bug fixes (thanks for reporting bugs!)
- Schedule full and incremental backups of your MySQL database.
- Start immediate backup or postpone scheduled backups based on thresholds defined by you.
- Choose to do more flexible logical or faster raw backups of your database.
- Perform backup that is the best match for your storage engine and your MySQL configuration.
- Backup your remote MySQL database through a firewall.
- Configure on-the-fly compression and/or encryption of your MySQL backups to meet your storage and security needs.
- Get e-mail notification about the status of your backups and receive MySQL backup reports via RSS feed.
- Monitor and browse your backups.
- Define retention policies and delete backups that have expired.
- Recover a database easily to any point in time or to any particular transaction, e.g. just before a user made an error.
- Parse binary logs to search and filter MySQL logs for operational and security reasons.
Functionality and Benefits of Zmanda Recovery Manager(ZRM) for MySQL
|Which versions of MySQL can I backup?|| |
MySQL 4.1.x and MySQL 5.x
|Which storage engines can I backup?|| |
ZRM for MySQL works with any storage engine.
|Is there a GUI?||ZRM Enterprise Edition provides Management Console for MySQL backup, a web based service integrated with Zmanda Network for all day-to-day backup activities of a MySQL DBA.|
|How does ZRM backup MySQL?||Backups are done via mysqldump, various snapshots, mysqlhotcopy or MySQL replication. Depending on your configuration of MySQL, ZRM selects the best way to do backups, but you can override and select yourself what tool to use.|
|Can I do hot backup of online database?||ZRM provides hot backup via snapshots. Currently we support Linux, Windows VSS, Solaris ZFS, Veritas VxFS and Network Appliance SnapManager. Community Edition provides support for LVM snapshots only.|
|Does ZRM for MySQL use a proprietary data format?||Since ZRM for MySQL does not use any proprietary data formats, you can recover your data even without ZRM.|
|What kind of backup reports will I get?|| |
You will receive e-mail about the success or failure of each backup. Additionally, you will get information about the amount of backup data and the time taken to run a backup. You can add your own comments about each backup job to make it easy to find the right backup version of your database for recovery.
ZRM for MySQL also provides reports about the state of MySQL during backups, e.g. how much time it took to flush memory buffers before the snapshot was taken.
Formatting for backup reports is flexible. For example you can receive reports automatically via RSS feed making it easier to consolidate reports for a dashboard or any monitoring application.
ZRM Enterprise Edition provides 9 predefined reports and allows to customize reporting on over 30 items.
|Can I do backups over the Internet?||Using SSH copy or socket copy plug-in you can do either secure or not secure but more efficient backups over the Internet.|
|Some of my backups are done via LVM snapshots and others are done via mysqlhotcopy. Will I need different tools for recovery?|| |
ZRM for MySQL provides a unified recovery mechanism for any technology used for backup. It makes it easy to recover databases that were backed up differently, e.g. when you have both logical and raw backups.
|Do I have to replace my existing network backup with ZRM for MySQL?||ZRM for MySQL is not a replacement for your existing network backup. It is a complementary solution for backup and recovery of MySQL only, and it can co-exist with your existing Amanda Enterprise, Veritas NetBackup, EMC Networks or any other network backup software.|
|To what point in time can I recover my database?||With ZRM for MySQL you can recover your database to any point in time or to any particular transaction between two successful backups. For example, you can recover the database to a moment in time just before a user made an error.|
|What performance can I get for backup and recovery with ZRM?||Raw backup and recoveries are much faster than logical ones. Register on Zmanda network to read the white paper "Backup and recovery benchmarks for MySQL with ZRM" and see how ZRM accelerates performance for InnoDB and MyISAM storage engines.|
|Can I backup MySQL Cluster with ZRM?||ZRM Cluster Edition supports backup of MySQL Cluster and MySQL Cluster Carrier-Grade Edition. ZRM consolidates backup data dispersed among all cluster nodes to a single system making it easier to recover data in case of emergency.|
|Where can I get ZRM?||You can download the Community Edition of ZRM for MySQL here|
Documentation, Discussion Forums, and Mailing List for ZRM CommunityDocumentation is available at ZRM for MySQL wiki. Please use Zmanda Forums for discussions. We also provide a ZRM for MySQL users mailing list and an announcement mailing list as well as a searchable archive for the users list.
- How to backup over the Internet a remote MySQL server with Zmanda Recovery Manager. This document describes what to consider and how to configure ZRM for secure backup and recovery of remote MySQL server for common use cases including logical and raw backups.
- How to setup and verify a backup solution for MySQL in 15 minutes - all using open source software! This document describes how to install, configure, use and verify a fast and reliable solution for MySQL backup.
- Top 5 considerations for backup and recovery of MySQL. A well thought through backup plan and configuration will go a long way to ensure that you can recover your database - when a system or user error deletes important data stored in MySQL - without impacting your business.